Careers at Belco Forest Products
Our success as a company relies on the work ethic and personal success of our employees.
As a result, we aim to be an attractive employer that encourages our staff to develop their strengths and recognize their achievements. That is why we provide a challenging and rewarding work environment. In addition, we are always working to form the best team through an emphasis on continual learning and development. It should be noted that we do not accept applications in-person and we will follow up if there is an opening. Please avoid calling us to ask about your application. Thank you for your interest in Belco Forest Products.
Belco Forest Products is an equal opportunity employer.
For more information contact:
1 Current Opening-See Job Posting Below
VP of Operations
Belco Forest Products leads the way in manufacturing preservative treated and primed exterior wood millwork for use in residential and commercial construction projects. Builders enjoy the beauty of natural wood that is also environmentally friendly, easy to install and built to last. We’ve been partnering with the premier dealers and distributors across the country since our inception in 1978.
The Vice President of Operations, located in Shelton, Washington, will lead and develop a dedicated team of employees on industry standard production processes and procedures, OSHA and Environment Health & Safety standards and continuous improvement in productivity. This position is accountable for all aspects of Belco and Custom manufacturing products including procurement, production, shipping and receiving, facilities/maintenance, security, quality and safety. The Vice President of Operations is also accountable, cross-functionally, for the accurate control and management of product inventory.
The Vice President of Operations is accountable for achieving Belco Corporate business goals and objectives to include year-over-year improvements in production, quality and costs through the analysis and management of key performance indicators (KPIs).
Essential Functions of this Position
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position.
- Lead all aspects of producing Belco and custom products. The Operations organization is a part of the holistic company system. This position must actively partner with other areas within the company to ensure the Operations organization is performing and delivering to company expectations, and ultimately, market demands. Develop effective and positive working relationships within the Operations organization, as well as all other functional areas within the business.
- Prepare, analyze and present production and performance reports to ensure effective return on assets and continuous improvement of Operations’ functional areas.
- Manage the Procurement organization to ensure accurate levels of raw material are available to meet specified sales target goals in a cost-effective manner.
- Ensure that Belco assets utilized by Operations are maintained and procured to ensure maximum efficiencies to include a thorough preventative/predictive maintenance programs.
- Exhibit leadership in a safety-first culture. Incorporating conduct, policy/procedures and best practice programs to ensure the safest possible environment for all employees.
- Drive benchmarks and development of best practices through KPIs in a continuous improvement culture. Collaborate with peers, technical experts, and other stakeholders to standardize processes within the company.
- Ensure and maintain established customer focus for employees, effectively maintain positive relationships with key strategic external and internal customers/suppliers.
- Responsible for technical management training and ultimately accountable for performance management development. Provide coaching and counseling on performance feedback, up to initiation of corrective action with Human Resources.
- Manage Operations organization’s budget and participate in forecasting activities to ensure sales targets are met and production efficiencies are maintained.
- Prepare timely reports for distribution to internal customers and maintain accurate records and files.
- Working as a key member of the senior leadership team, recommend, lead and participate in Companywide process improvements, cost reductions and continuous improvement projects.
- Effectively participate as a member of the senior leadership team in formulating the Company’s future direction to include providing insight and recommendations in the development and implementation of new production processes and product lines.
- Recruit, retain and build high performance teams by understanding the technical skills, critical roles and chemistry among team members and identify individual professional development opportunities.
Education and Experience
- Undergraduate degree required in relevant area of study. Graduate degree preferred.
- History of progressive leadership roles with supervisory experience and execution of manufacturing tasks with short deadlines in a highly compressed delivery schedule.
- Ability to change direction and handle multiple responsibilities and tasks on a regular basis.
- Management style that demonstrates high integrity throughout all areas of internal and external business activity.
- Experience with manufacturing operations including supplier management and international sourcing.
- Experienced facilitator and trainer. Experience in achieving cost savings and understands cost drivers and ways to reduce cost.
- Solid knowledge of industry specific requirements, standards and specifications, manufacturing systems, product launch, supplier development, inspection, and continuous improvement.
- Team attitude and exceptional interpersonal communication skills.
- Safety/Environmental Knowledge: Compliance with all Federal and State regulations, best environmental practices, and company policies and procedures. Must serve as a role model for safe industrial behavior.
- Product Knowledge: Working with internal and external vendors to ensure production levels, sales values, product quality, and customer expectations.
- Experience with technical lumber processing and / or common lumber manufacturing practices preferred
- Management Leadership Skills: Capacity to lead staff and motivate teams in a continuous improvement work environment. Set business expectations and lead the organization to the successful achievement of goals modeling desired behaviors/values, and empowering self-directed work teams. Proven successful management and supervisory skills.
- Communication Skills: Capable of communicating a strategic vision that focuses on the daily tasks that advance ongoing success. Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Process/Flow knowledge: 15 years plus of experience in lumber manufacturing processes and lean manufacturing principals.
- Maintenance Competency: Experience and understanding of modern maintenance management tools and processes in a preventive, predictive, and corrective
- maintenance environment. Solid understanding of mechanical maintenance, including hydraulics, compressors, boilers, kilns, etc.
- Active Learning Skills: Desire to further own knowledge and training. Willing to stay up to date with lumber advancements, regulations, and management skills. Ability to lead a team by example, leveraging and improving the strengths of the team and individuals.
- Computer Skills: Microsoft Office products.
- Customer/Client Focus
- Continuous Improvement Mindset
- Results Driven / Commitment to Succeed
- Stress Management/Composure
- Teamwork Orientation
- Safety Mindset
Supervisory and Management Responsibility
This position leads and is accountable for the Operations organization which includes Production, Procurement, Maintenance, Security and Shipping & Receiving departments.
Typically works in a normal office environment with moderate noise levels. At times, works in in a manufacturing plant environment, including periods of time in noisy, non-air conditioned or unheated areas.
Ability to perform consistent work on a PC.
The environment may be highly stressful when pending production deadlines and requirements must be met.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- Sit or stand for long periods of time.
- Use hands to handle, control, or feel objects, tools, or controls.
- Make fast, repeated movements of fingers, hands, and wrists.
- Understand the speech of another person.
- Speak clearly so listeners can understand.
- See details of objects that are less or more than a few feet away.
- Use fingers to grasp, move, or assemble very small objects.
- Focus on one source of sound and ignore others.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
This is a full-time salaried position. This position may require long hours to meet business requirements. Schedule may consist of nights, overtime, weekend, and holiday work; schedule flexibility is required.
This position may travel to meet business requirements.